Sunday, March 24, 2013

A DAY WITH MY FAMILY..I WILL NEVER FORGET..DAY 22



The first thing that comes to mind with this title is FAMILY REUNION...I always loved our family reunion's on my father's side of the family when I was younger (The summers of the 70's and 80's)...Tradition is each state will take turns in hosting the reunions each year...Each year we would have a family meeting the last day of the reunion on where the next host state will be...Our reunion's last for three days (Friday-Saturday)..like most black families...But I use to love when it was our turn to host...The people in Detroit really knew how to get down and have fun if we don't do anything else in this city....LOL Anyway my grandfather was the head of our family so the reunion when it was in Detroit was always centered around what he wanted us to do...We always had plenty of food...I got to see all of my cousins from near and far...And they always seemed to be much nicer than the cousins I had that actually lived here...Mainly because they did not judge...we were all family poor or not..they did not look down on me and my sisters..they did not talk about our clothes and treated us all the same..we had fun together and not in secret circles...That was the only time of the year I felt I had a real purpose and meaning in that family..I missed those days..I still try to stay close to my family members that live in other states..Especially the ones that live in New York...I love coming out there to visit with them..I always feel like a super star whenever I am around them...One day from one of the family reunion that I remember the most was in the Summer of 86...We are a very talented and entertaining family..very musical...but this was the first year everyone got to see me and my sisters true talent...We had a talent show the night of the family dinner and me and my sister got up there and sang a Clark Sister song  acappella....hitting notes in five part harmonies...Everyone was amazed even the family members that lived here...They tried to convince my father to do something with our talent..but my father tried to be a performer himself..even got an offer from Berry Gordy himself..but Berry wanted him to leave his group and my father was loyal back then and refused...I think he still regrets that to this day but he did not want the same faith for his girls (Like the Braxtons did)..to have to choose and separate us..After that every reunion the request was for the Allman Sisters to sing...Even though now a days me and my sisters do not sing as much together anymore..I will always cherish the memories we had when we did..Especially that one special day when we showed our family that we had arrived...Take notice

4 comments:

As the Budda Flows said...

Tracy i cant even remember going to a family reunion. great memories

Reggie said...

I've got fun family in Detroit too, but I guess all black people do huh?!?

Oh and my wife is from Detroit as well.

I loved the family reunions my family had when I was growing up. They were usually held in Alabama though and my family from around the country would come and hang out.

No Labels said...

Wonderful memories; thanks for sharing!

Thee_Kween said...

Aww come on...bussa note for us!