Tuesday, March 19, 2013

THE DAY I MADE A DIFFERENCE..DAY 17







I have been told I made a difference in someone's life more than a couple of times...and I continue to do more with each breath I take..but the one day that stood out for me was the day I decided to make a difference or try to at least...The day I went back to where the journey started for me..Vista Maria School and Girls Home...When I graduated from High school I never thought I would step back on that campus again...I was in community college in the middle of my second year when I ran into one of my old Social Worker...She was an ad visor at my school...We talked and caught up..she mention how proud she was of me for continuing my education ..She told me about a mentor program at Vista Maria and how she was still involved in it...They were having a scholarship banquet and she asked me how did I feel about being one of the guest speakers..She thought I could be the positive the girls needed...the HOPE she called it...LOL Funny I never thought of myself as hope for anyone..I needed it myself...But I agreed to do it...Did not know what I was going to say but I knew I would think of something...LOL I thought about writing the same old speech type thing...but at the last hour I decided to just be me...I started with my background and left very little details of the pain...by the time I finished there wasn't a dry eye in the room including mines...these girls needed to hear something from someone that was just like them and that was me...After I was done most of the girls rushed me with questions...me being on my own and still struggling intrigued them...We got so caught up in talking they did not want me to leave...They treated me like a star...I enjoyed that feeling so much I knew that I would from that day forward try to make a difference in some girls life always...I left that campus with such an overwhelming feeling...it turns out the difference I was to make in them turned out to be the difference they made in me...

4 comments:

Reggie said...

We all have it within us to provide hope for someone out there, but most of us just don't do it.....kudos to you for actually taking the time to do so.

ABoyd378 said...

*BIG HUGS* :-)

No Labels said...

That is so beautiful. They just needed to hear from someone who came from the same place, the same experiences who made it out--that is what is the most inspirational. I'm glad you were able to provide that for them. ((hugs))

Thee_Kween said...

I love it! Spreading positivity is a blessing.